Wednesday, September 16, 2009

[insert interesting title here]

I'm updating finally... I never like deciding what to type which is why I put off updating for so long. :D

Olivia has developed some habits with her bedtime/nap routines. She likes to have something against her face. If I'm holding her (such as at church) she goes to sleep with her face against her little polar bear. When I put her down in her Moses basket she has to be on her stomach and she often puts her face almost straight down into the cushion. She also will hold her head up and put her face into the side of the basket -- I'll have to get a picture so you can see how strange it is. She will happily cover her face with a blanket also, so I always have to adjust her or move something once she is fully asleep.

It's amazing how fast she is growing up! She's just mastered rolling from front to back. The other day I put her in the middle of our bed and turned my back -- a minute later she had rolled over twice and was near the edge of the bed. I put her back in the middle and she immediately rolled over twice again. I can hardly leave her on the floor very long before she's either rolled or scooted further than I had planned.

Mark had a new allergy test done recently, and he has new and worse allergies. He is extremely allergic to everything in dairy, eggs, wheat, gluten, and soy... which are ingredients that are in pretty much every single processed food you can buy. He's rather allergic to rice, and not only that, he is mildly allergic to potatoes, corn, and various beans as well. Cooking has been a real challenge, to say the least. (Ideas are appreciated!!) He also has a hypothyroid and Epstein Barr virus. He's had a serious lack of energy and has had to cut back on work and we've been trying hard to make sure he's getting more sleep.

Here's some pictures from the past week:Yes, lots of un-baby safe things in that picture... but she was actually far from being able to touch any of them. ;) She enjoys sitting in there and watching me cook.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Can he have the ancient grains like cous cous and quinoa? They make a great rice/potato replacement. Millet and tapioca can also work in place of rice.

There's a cereal that is like a 5 or 7 grain hot cereal... in Canada it is called Red River Cereal, and I'm pretty sure there is no rice or wheat in it, not sure on the gluten part though.

I haven't had to cook quite with the restrictions you have, though sometimes I feel like I am in a way. We really hardly do anything processed because of the ingredients Justin and I can't have (between us there's pineapple, carrots, potatoes, onion, garlic, shellfish, beef, yellow food colouring, and pork... and I'm sure there are some others, but I can't think of them right now- I cook by habit!). Rebecca seems to be reacting to mango and cantaloupe as well!

I definitely can sympathize for you, though!

Evelyn said...

Sorry about the allergies! But your girl looks so cute! A Mark&Mercy in one haha!

Hayley said...

lol, that first pic of Olivia reminds me of examples of "what is wrong with this picture".

Unknown said...

Melissa,
I'm not sure about cous cous and quinoa. I was using quinoa off and on but I'm assuming that they are off limits. I'm familiar with the Red River Cereal, but unfortunately the only gluten free mix they have has rice and buckwheat in it, which he can't have.

By the way, are you sure you're still allergic to potatoes and all? If I remember correctly it's been a while since you (er, your husband?) were tested, and as far as I know, food allergies can go away if you avoid them for 6 months. That's more or less what happened with Mark, although all the things he was slightly allergic to that we weren't strict about he is now very allergic to!

Hayley - lol, I know! There isn't an item pictured besides her seat that is baby safe! :D

Melissa said...

It's Justin allergic to the potatoes, carrots, peanuts, beef, garlic, and shrimp, and I know for sure he's still allergic to potatoes and beef, because he has difficulty breathing in places where they are being cooked! Garlic I'm not sure on, but it is still suspect. He doesn't like carrots anyway, so I generally don't feed them to him. And... shellfish and peanut allergies are very rare for someone to "outgrow". I know that peanuts are one that are almost never outgrown, so we won't be taking chances with those two. :-)