Thursday, January 7, 2010

of food and other things

About two weeks ago I decided I was going to feed Olivia as much solids as she would possibly eat. Partly to save money (the formula supplementing is getting expensive!) but mostly to try to get her to gain weight. It seems to be working. She has gained about a pound and a half, and she has a huge appetite. I haven't kept track of how much she eats, but I did just finish feeding her lunch, which consisted of an entire can of peas. And I do mean a 15 oz can of peas, not a little baby food jar.

Have you ever heard of black bean brownies? Neither had I, until I ran across the recipe on Allrecipes and thought I would give it a try. Since Mark cannot have gluten or dairy, every dessert that I've seen has been off limits. I was pretty excited about the recipe despite the strange ingredients (black beans instead of flour) because it had good reviews. We ended up being very disappointed and threw it away.
Now I've come across a new recipe: a chocolate cake make with chick peas instead of flour. Once again, the reviews are positive, so I'm going to give it a try, but this time I don't have as high hopes. ;)

In her walker. Editing to add: she's really good at going places with her walker. If she gets stuck she knows how to try backing up and making a direction change. However, in our tiny place she still gets really stuck now and then, which makes her very upset.

Shona!

I know this picture has terrible lighting, but I thought it was really cute!

and Matthew. He's gotten really conscious of the camera lately, so capturing him looking natural has been very difficult!

5 comments:

Sharon said...

Wow, you updated the link to my blog quite quickly!

The Mom said...

Hi, I have a gluten free friend and recently at her home had Clementine Cake - it was amazing, we couldn't believe it was gf.

This is the recipe (I've not made it myself, but hers was great)
********
4-5 unpeeled Clementines (1 pound total)

6 eggs

1cup + 2 tablespoons sugar

2 1/3 cup ground almonds (almond flour)

1 heaping teaspoon baking powder

Directions:

Put unpeeled clementines in a pot with cold water to cover. Bring to boil and cook for 2 hours. Drain and when cool cut in half and remove seeds. Put in processor and chop finely.

Add eggs, sugar, almond flour and baking powder and mix in processor.

Pour into a greased 8" spring form pan (line bottom with parchment). Bake approx 1 hour at 375F. Let cool

Hope the dietary restrictions are helping Mark.

Love
Henrietta

Unknown said...

Thanks for the recipe, Henrietta... it looks good and I would like to try it some time. I forgot to mention, however, that Mark isn't really supposed to have eggs either, so I'm afraid that it wouldn't work! Clementines must go as a different name here though, because I don't think I've ever seen any in the stores.

Rebecca said...

Clementines are a kind of orange. The ones we used to get in the U.S. were a bit on the small side. The ones we get here are medium size. I don't see why any orange wouldn't do. Some peel easier or have thicker peel or more seeds. I like to get the ones with the thick peel and peel them like you would an apple, taking off only the dark orange part. That leaves lots of the white stuff, which is loaded with vitamin C.

Sharon said...

What about sherbet as a dessert? It doesn't have dairy in it, does it?