Thursday, May 21, 2009

39 weeks and 3 days...

Just four days left till my due date! However, my midwife has been speculating for a few weeks now that I'm going to be late, perhaps as late as a week. She was so sure she said it was ok if I stay in Austin next week.
Surprisingly I'm not feeling particularly impatient -- it helps to be able to expect being late, and maybe it's also because I'm feeling better now than I have at probably any other part of the pregnancy! This is at least in part because I'm finally less anemic than I was. I've been taking very large quantities of iron because my midwife was worried that I might have to have the baby in a hospital because there was a risk I would need a blood transfusion, etc. Well, after taking extra doses of iron for three months, my hemoglobin is finally on the rise instead of dropping. I don't feel faint, my heart isn't racing, and I'm not out of breath near as often, and when I'm not having contractions I actually feel pretty normal. Perhaps another reason I'm not impatient is because I really want to be at home when I go into labor, so as long as I'm in Austin I'm hoping nothing happens. :D

Here I am working on my blog post. Yes my couch has stuff on it.. there's not a whole lot of room for things in this place! ;)

5 comments:

Sharon said...

It's nice to be relaxed about your due date, though if you're wrong and baby comes sooner rather than later, you might be caught more off guard!

It's so nice to see a picture of you, though you should show off your tummy more, as Evelyn did so nicely on her blog today! Must be a mom thing--we like to see how the babies are growing even before they make their official appearance.

My prediction: your baby will be bigger than Evelyn's. I said that hers would be medium-sized. How's that for specific? LOL

Evelyn said...

LOL Sharon! Now I really can't wait to see how heavy our babes will be!

Glad your relaxed about the due date it is "estimated" soo.

I've never had probs with my hemoglobin...in fact everytime they checked they were shocked at how high it was (one commented on it being as high as a mans...lol!) That doesn't mean I have oodles of energy though. :) Glad your sorted though, yikes, wouldn't want to have to go to hospital when the plans were for a homebirth or close to it! xx

P.S.
You look lovely btw! It is so nice to see you pregnant...there is something lovely about it all even though I find being pregnant awful for the most part!

Melissa said...

I was quite relaxed with my due date as well. Actually, I think everyone else was more anxious about it than I was. Turned out I went nearly two weeks over!

I had minor hemoglobin issues, no lack of energy, and nothing to make my midwives panic, but enough for them to "suggest" that we find an iron supplement... so we did, and discovered my skin turned pinker within a week, LOL.

And... I'm not guessing sizes of babies, since I've seen people who are hardly showing have babies who are nearly 7 lbs (ie, myself! she was 6lbs 14.6oz, and I hardly showed at all), and people who were showing a LOT have babies that were barely 5 lbs. I just don't bother guessing anymore!

Rachel said...

Well, I was told that first babies are usually late - and since my mom was always at least a couple weeks late, I assumed babies were always late. Hence my great surprise when my waters broke 2 days early with Abigail - and she was born on my due date! :-D So, you never know!! Then Benjamin was 5 days early ... and Clement 10 days late!

Look forward to hearing your news! :) xx

thedude said...

Howdy, sis! Good to see a pic of you again. It's been a while. I really enjoyed talking with Mark the other day, and I really like the pictures you took of Austin.