It has been dismally grey and very cold for the past few weeks, but yesterday evening was delightful, because we had a fire in the fireplace! It was so warm and cozy...once we got it going. We smoked up the house and set off some smoke-alarms in the process of starting the fire.
I couldn't sit there very long... it was extremely hot right next to the fire! And lots of hot air going up the chimney, of course, it being a fireplace and all. We won't be doing it too often because of the rate it burns wood!The other night John, Mark, and Sam came for dinner. Sam brought his violin. With three violins, a tin whistle, and a guitar there was quite a bit of music (or noise, I suppose some might call it.) At one point Mom, Sam, and I were playing Psalm tunes together on violins; Mom played soprano, and Sam and I played bass and alto. I'll readily admit I did a pretty bad job, but there were some moments it sounded quite lovely. ;)
5 comments:
lol I thought James was taking her to see the ultrasound!! Well your the next best thing to having her hubby there. Glad you celebrated...am surprised tho, you went to IHOP? I thought Hays can't stand that place! Have a great weekend! :)
Ev xx
It's a baby human, not a baby elephant or anything, right? LOL
As for finding out "what the baby is" in the sense you mentioned, I'm quite happy that many health authorities over here won't tell you - I'm a bit old fashioned about that. After all what would be the fun of the midwives saying "it's a little ....." if you already knew? And then again I think I heard that in about 5% of cases they get it wrong, which can be quite annoying if you've bought a whole wardrobe, painted a child's room, etc, etc.
Suffice it to say that with ours we didn't know; with Abigail it was because we didn't ask before they did the scan (and they didn't look unless you asked); by the time Benjamin was on the way it was their policy not to tell. Sometimes this policy has been brought in because they are afraid of people aborting on the basis of sex, especially in certain ethnic groups.
Sounds like it's gone full circle over here, Peter. My first four children they refused to say, on grounds that it was against public policy (I guess because of gender abortions), then they changed policies and would tell you if you wanted to know.
I have had a friend who was told she was definitely having a girl; and had a boy. It was a little bit traumatic for her, since she had a bad birth and wasn't conscious when the baby arrived, and she said she was glad her husband was, or she'd have thought there was a mix up and she had been given the wrong baby, since she was so sure she was having a girl.
I'm guessing Baby James 'n' Hayley is a boy - since most of Terry and Ernie's grand babies are girls. Is Mark the only boy so far?
It's nice for Hayley had you for company: it beats going alone, or worse, taking your five infants under five with you:-)
Well, I'm old fashioned too, I would rather not find out till it is born but even then I wouldn't want the midwife to tell me what gender s/he is! I would rather find out for myself. Hopefully they will abide by that one...but mw's do make mistakes. No baby yet here...I think I'm being taught a valuable lesson: patience!!
Hey Ev, well Hayley said she'd been craving some crepes from IHOP during her whole pregnancy, so we said, Why not?? Turned out we got horrible service (we didn't even tip our waitress, it was that bad) but the crepes were sooo good -- I'm still glad we went. :D
Post a Comment