Thursday, February 14, 2008

mercedes-benz wants to publish one of my photos?!

So I sat down with my coffee this morning, and checked my email. I had received an email through Flickr (a photo sharing website, for those of you who may not know), from a spokesman in Germany for Mercedes-Benz. They want to publish a photo I took of one of their cars: " We’d like it to feature in an exclusive, emotionally charged coffee-table book compiled for our customers." I read over it a couple times, thinking at first that it was spam. But it's written with proper grammar and everything, and it seems real. Supposedly they will buy the photo from me (for a decent price!) and then the photo might be published in this book, which of course I would receive a copy of.

The picture they want...
It's a very rare supercar that we saw a couple years ago in Galveston.
I'm trying to research it a little bit and make sure this is real before I give up all the photography rights I have of the above photo. They did say I would be credited in the book, but to be frank, I'm more concerned about when I'd receive the money -- regardless of whether it's chosen to be put in the book, or only if it's chosen, and after the book is published?

And here's a couple other pictures that I personally like more than the one above:

Neluska the other day... giving me a silly look while she stopped a moment from digging a giant hole in the woods next to us.


Leah and me at the tennis court yesterday. It was the perfect tennis playing weather!

6 comments:

The Mom said...

Hi Mercy

From a lawyer's point of view. . .there are two possible scenarios:

(1) You sell them the right to use the pic in one place in one edition of a book

or

(2) You sign away all rights to the photo, allowing them to use it whenever and wherever they wish

If you do (2) rather than (1) make sure you ask for a LOT more $$$

Whatever sum they offer you can be negotiated (ie they don't start out with their best offer)

Julian, my husband, deals with international copyright law, so if you'd like more info, email me privately henrietta@momys.com

And congratulations on being such a great photographer!

Unknown said...

Yes, I'm aware of the copyright laws -- I'm just concerned the email might be spam, so I'm trying to get some more info about it! To all appearances it's an official email from Daimler themselves, but I've replied and requested more information to make sure.

Thanks for offering the help, though! I'll be sure to send you a line if I have any questions. :)

thedude said...

Hey Mercy - mind sending that photo to me?? ;) (That is, BEFORE you sell it to Mercedes!

(Just Kidding)

Good pix you have - a nice touch to your post! Neluska looks very funny.

Sharon said...

Rather than just replying to the e-mail they sent you, why not contact mercedes-benz yourself, perhaps through their website? Ask them to verify that person X who contacted you is really their employee...that way you're not just taking for granted that the person contacting you is who he/she says he/she is...(okay that was awkward)

It is a very nice picture though! I like the one of you and Leah...is that short sleeves I see??? We're still in winter coats here! And while most of the snow has melted, the ice lingers in shady spots!

Unknown said...

Well I already did reply to the email, and he personally responded. I'm pretty convinced it's all real. They're trying to finalize the selection, so I can agree to let them consider using it, and if they do choose to use it, then I would get the money. (That was a nice run-on sentence.)

Yes, short sleeves! It's been in the low-to-mid seventies here for the past several days. It's pretty nice. :)

thedude said...

Awaiting Mercedes-Benz photo results, as well as Shoutbox installation and blog update.

Sam