Friday, September 19, 2008

honeymoon part 1

Blogger chose to put these out of order after I uploaded them, and since it would be too much work to re-arrange them, I'm just leaving them like they are.

We went to Big Bend National Park for our honeymoon, and on our way home we drove along a river road, stopped at an old fort/mission, drove into Mexico, and then up into the Davis Mountains before returning home.

a rattlesnake!

In the the restaurant in the Basin, where we stayed.

In Pine Canyon, with the Jeep we rented.

In the desert near the Rio Grande, on the south east side of the park

Loose horses in Boquillas Canyon, which according to park rangers, probably crossed the river from the Mexico border while it was low. The river was very high when we were there, so the horses were trapped on the US side.

A little Mexican hut on the Mexico side

Boquillas Canyon... the object in the water on the right was a dead horse...!

Near Boquillas Canyon. There was a sign on the parking lot that said "Thefts occur here frequently." When we came back to the car, we suspected the car had been broken into. When Mark opened his door, a bobby pin fell out on the ground and the rubber strip over the window looked like it had been tampered with!

A sunset in the desert on the south-east side of the park.

The view outside our balcony at our room at the Lodge... and a little visitor on our first morning there!


The Chisos Mountains

A tunnel under a ridge with the Sierra del Carmen mountains in the background.



One of the little things set up in Boquillas canyon... there were also little trinkets with crude signs nearby that asked for donations for poor schoolchildren in Mexico.

7 comments:

Evelyn said...

Nice to see some pics of your honeymoon! Looks like you had a lovely time! You'll have to update your info to the right...unless you still want to consider Mark as your fiance...haha :)
Love,
Ev xx

thedude said...

Hey there...you've got some nice pix. Looks like y'all had at least 100X the fun we had.

John said...

Hey, great pictures. It looks very green compared to when we were there! That Jeep looks fuuuuuun! And I did not know you saw a rattlesnake!

thedude said...

Argh. Every time I see these pix I get frustrated because I want to have that much fun. Next time, I'll have to go with John and we can do some serious hiking.

Update soon, please! I have a feed on your blog now so I'll be checking it oftener.

Evelyn said...

Oh Mercy I just found out you probably aren't getting my emails? Do you have a different address maybe? Anyways, hope the morning sickness gets better for you!

Love,
Ev xx

thedude said...

Mark and Mercy don't have access to the internet in their apartment, so that's probably why y'all haven't heard from them. Of course I'm not positively sure, but I think I heard that they don't.

Sharon said...

So should I give up on checking for updates then? Merc, are you done with the blogging thing or will you get back to it eventually?