Thursday, January 8, 2009

of baking chickens, which causes many problems

We have internet now!

My current craving has been pizza, which I'm pretty sure I haven't eaten since before my wedding. Well, yesterday when I was out shopping I couldn't resist buying a couple of little pizzas so that I can satisfy my craving at lunchtime while Mark is working. Today I happily preheated the oven with eager anticipation... and then I noticed our little apartment was filling up with smoke.

This is not the first time this has happened (which means I shouldn't have forgotten about this possibility...) A little over a week ago I baked a chicken in the oven. Yes, this was my first time doing it, but I thought I knew what I was doing -- about the same as a turkey, right? and I've baked turkeys before. Well, when I thought this chicken was done, I peeked in and then shut the door to turn off the oven. As soon as I did -- "BOOM!" The whole oven actually shook a little, and I nearly jumped out of my skin. After a couple minutes I opened the door with some trepidation, and discovered grease coating the inside of my whole oven. It even ran out the bottom of the door onto the floor. The chicken was still intact -- the only thing I can imagine is that the skin burst somewhere, and let out a lot of hot grease.

Anyway, I haven't gotten to cleaning my oven yet, which has resulted in setting off the smoke alarm whenever I want to use it. Meanwhile, I'm not sure if I'll have the courage to bake another chicken again...

3 comments:

Evelyn said...

lol...uhm, I always cover my chicken while baking never heard of not covering it! Haven't done a turkey yet and have no need either I suppose you do it the same as a chicken? ;)

Sharon said...

You could always have Mom clean your oven--she seems to like cleaning ovens, for some reason. Anyway, I'm not sure that you should be using oven cleaners while you're expecting; those things are pretty fume-ey. (Fumy? Fumey?)

Unknown said...

My cook book didn't mention covering it, but maybe they took it for granted I'd know something that obvious...hmm.

I bought some supposedly fume-free oven cleaner, but I haven't used it yet so I don't know what it's actually like. Maybe I should see if Mom wants to do it! :D