I'm wondering what exactly you're supposed to eat if you can't eat any kind of meat, eggs, milk, cheese, soy, or oats. This is what a doctor has prescribed Mark for his heartburn. I'm pretty sure we're going to be pretty tired of beans by the time we're through... (And this could become even more difficult when the results of his allergy test come back!)
We're moving this weekend, all being well. It's to a bigger apartment but still in the same apartment complex. We are really looking forward to having more space!
9 comments:
Potatoes. Lots of them. Rice. Pasta. Tomato sauce with lots of veggies (throw spinach into the sauce). Spinach, broccoli... can you do fish, or is that out as well?
We're going through a lot of the same thing right now, though we *can* eat eggs, dairy, fish and poultry here. It's not a whole lot easier though, because on this end, allergies have ruled out potatoes, carrots, garlic, pork, beef, onions, all shellfish, peanuts, coconut, and yellow food colouring! It's so much fun, isn't it? LOL... I'll think on it, maybe come up with some ideas for you... have you got an email address I could send ideas to? Mine is melissa.swatsenbarg at gmail.com, so you can email me if you like...
Hmm, tomato sauce would be a no no if I remember Mark correctly. Yikes sounds like an awful meal plan if you ask me...I hope you don't plan on going through it as well (well entirely I mean) because that sure would be hard to get enough of the 5 food groups for little missie inside!
Sorry I don't have any ideas for you but maybe Melissa does!
Matthew looks cute in that pic as always! :)
Sorry to hear Mark has heartburn - has he tried medication? We've an ongoing family issue with it (several generations of gastric esophagal reflux disease) so you have my sympathy.
Henrietta x x
Yes, tomatoes are out at this point, at this point.
Mark has been on medication for almost three years (I think?) and most of the doctors have either recommended to keep doing what he's doing (even though it's not working and they don't know the long term effects of antacids) or to have surgery. We finally found someone who has given us more options, so we're quite willing to give it a try!
Noticed you didn't say whether fish is okay or not. If it is, I have more ideas than this for you, but here are a couple of ideas, anyway...
Baked Potato Bar
Basically, you bake nice sized potatoes (one or two per person depending on how many they'll eat), and you put out various bowls of toppings. My mum usually put out little ham cubes (or bacon bits), sour cream, cheese sauce, cooked broccoli (chopped up), and cooked carrots (chopped up). However, you can put out basically any veggies you want. Potatoes are a great idea, aside from the lack in protein in the meal... but you yourself can add meat, sour cream, or cheese to create the protein.
Veggie Stir-fry
Literally fry up any veggies you want. To add some protein to the meal, you can throw in bean sprouts, which... while they're still beans, they're a different flavour from just cooked/baked beans. :) They've got lots of iron and protein in them, which are things you definitely need while pregnant. I'd serve it with rice, most likely... or cous cous, perhaps.
Finally, salads! Spinach salads, with some mandarin slices on top... and a build your own of everything else. Sliced almonds, cheese, tomatoes, olives, peppers, sunflower seeds, etc. Obviously cheese and tomatoes don't have to go on, especially when it is a build your own. The orange slices will help iron from the spinach absorb. :)
Remember that though Mark shouldn't have meats, soy, and dairy and such, you need to eat things that will give you the fats and proteins that you need, because you've got a baby growing in there! You're in the most important time in your pregnancy now to be getting lots of fats and proteins... take it from someone whose baby wasn't growing properly (it wasn't diet related, but we sure fixed it fast with a change in diet!!). Without the fats and proteins now, your baby *can* stop growing properly, so it is very important that you keep lots of proteins in your diet, and enough fat, though you don't need to go crazy with the fats, lol. :) Easy ways to add protein and fat to anything is to throw in some nuts/cheese, which obviously, cheese doesn't have to be in Mark's stuff. Almonds are a really good nut to be eating, and sunflower seeds are about as good. They're both high fat, high protein options. Oh, and peanuts are a good thing to make use of as well... speaking of which, you could probably look into making "ground nut soup" (peanut soup). I can't do that one, because it's got onions in it, and I don't know how to replace that quantity of onions... oh, plus Justin's allergic to peanuts, LOL. :) Yogurt, cheese, lunch meats, peanut or other nut butters, and ice creams with minimal ingredients (breyer's all naturals, or Costco's Kirkland vanilla are good options) are great places to get the fat and proteins at the same time.
I could live without meat and soy and maybe even without eggs or milk, but no cheese???? Yikes! I think I would almost rather have surgery! :p Seriously, did they all have to be eliminated at once? It would be so much easier if you could eliminate just a couple at a time.
I guess beans and nuts would have to be your major sources of protein. Whole grains are good for protein too. Just about any bean is good as a side if simmered till tender with a little salt, garlic, and onion. And of course there are refried beans, and you could put beans into a vegetable soup. You could do a non-spicy version of cajun-style red beans and rice. If Mark could have tomatoes, you could do a vegetarian chili--what about low-acid tomato varieties? Would those work?
Sounds like an interesting challenge--have fun!
I only just now noticed that I repeated myself in my above comment...
Thanks everyone for all your wonderful ideas!
Mark can't have any kind of fish. The point, actually, is to eliminate all histamine-high or histamine producing foods, and according to research this means a variety of things including tomatoes, spinach, eggplant, red beans, soy sauce, avocados and a lot of fruits and random other things.
The follow-up doctors appointment is just around the corner, and then we get to hear the news on allergies... :D
I thought "what an interesting poll she's got there!" Hehe! What do you think about vaccines? :) I duno if I should vote or not, I feeel funny for some reason. :) I duno.
Hey Steph, I'm still trying to figure out what I think of vaccines... we definitely won't be doing them the way they're recommended, but we don't have an official plan either... I'm still reading and learning about them. :)
Post a Comment