Wednesday, November 4, 2009

life of a mother

Are you familiar with the countless little odds and ends that add up for that "last trip" when you move? On Monday I went back to our old home to clean and gather the last couple items. At least, I thought it was just a couple items. While Matthew ran around like crazy in the empty house, thereby entertaining Olivia, I began cleaning and getting things together. (Turned out that cupboard above the refrigerator which I was certain was empty had a nearly full box of brand new silverware from our wedding gifts that we'd stored for later use...)

Pretty soon Olivia was ready for a nap, and also a diaper change. The prepared mother I am, I simply opened up my purse/diaper bag to get the changing necessities-- to discover I'd forgotten to put new diapers in my purse. (I know, right?!) Since there is a Kroger just across the street, we got into the car and headed over to buy some diapers. As I was lifting Matthew into a basket near the Kroger entrance, I realized that he had apparently at some point during the day put his pants on backwards... but I couldn't exactly fix them there. *sigh* Fortunately Olivia had fallen asleep on the way.

Back at the apartment I resumed cleaning after eating some lunch. By the time I was ready to go, Olivia was ready for another nap. With just a couple items to take out to the car, I'd simply put her in the carseat and head out with an armload, right? Wrong. About five trips later, and while carrying a tired baby with me each time, (please bear in mind this is an upstairs apartment and you have to walk a ways to the parking lot) I had the car stuffed full and we were ready to go at last.


Olivia has reached the age where she really wants me -- all the time. I really do not hold her all the time, so I don't think I have trained her to always want attention..! She can be totally happy when she first wakes up or if she's playing by herself, but if I walk into her view she gets very excited and then cries if I walk on past. Matthew is very helpful in keeping her happy. He's often talking to himself and playing with his Legos nearby her, which keeps her entertained for quite a while. She also likes having someone in the backseat with her in the car!


On to some pictures:

I tried to get some photos of them together, but Olivia either wanted to sit up by herself...
...or sit back...
and play with her feet!
By the way, the clothes you sent fit her well, Evelyn! Thank you!

3 comments:

Evelyn said...

heehee those pics look funny and cute! Hope your unpacking goes smoothly!

Sharon said...

Sometimes babies just want their mommies. :) I doubt that not holding a baby will make them want any less to be held (did that sentence make any sense? I can't think of a better way to word it). Sorry, I guess that's not very encouraging to hear when you have a million things to do. :)

Is she any happier if she's close to you, but not actually being held--like in the bumpo (sp?) or walker or something?

Maybe you can figure out how to wear her on your back (much easier on you than wearing her in front).

Sharon said...

Forgot to add that it does make things easier when babies have siblings. I suppose when Matthew's not there, I could have Elijah and Noah come over and entertain her for you. :p