Monday, November 30, 2009

um...an update

I didn't get any pictures of Thanksgiving day, unfortunately. I just never seem to remember my camera these days. It's painfully slow and the battery just never stays charged. Plus I'm beginning to realize how old fashioned my once top-of-the-line camera is. (4 megapixels used to be high quality, you know!) Not that I'm complaining... I still think it takes great pictures. Perhaps the real reason I don't use it is simply that I don't have much time for it and have gotten out of the habit of using it. ;)

Thanksgiving morning we went to my parents house for breakfast and worship, and to say good bye. As you know, they are going to Israel where my dad will continue working on a project with the Trinitarian Bible Society. You can visit my mom's blog to follow their new life there. (I'm hoping there will be tons of pictures!)
We then went to the manse where the Smith families + Jesh, Sharon, and Ben, met for lunch, games, and of course lots of visiting.

Olivia started sitting up about a week before five months and now sits very well. She also is scooting places with her elbows and toes, and occasionally even uses her knees to push herself around. It's interesting how her personality is changing... she used to be very mild, but she has gradually become more energetic and very intense. She loves interacting with people!

She has started eating solids and I've also been supplementing formula. She just is not getting enough food, and she's so small! She fits into her age group for most clothes, so I don't always realize how petite she is. I had her weighed the other day for the first time since she was 6 weeks old, and she's not even 13 pounds yet. I'm beginning to realize that all the difficulty with her fussiness probably had (and has) to do with hunger.

Mark and I have come down with a cold... I'm not looking forward to a sick baby, especially since she's never been sick and I don't know what to expect! She's not gotten it yet, but it seems inevitable she will catch the bug too.

I cropped as much mess as I could out of this photo. We did have company over the night before, and Saturday mornings aren't generally a tidy moment.


I love this picture of Mark acting unimpressed.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Olivia is sooo cute! I love that picture!

She might not get sick, since she's nursing--she's been getting antibodies from you since before you even had symptoms, and she continues to get support from your immune system as she deals with the germs.

You could try taking some extra vitamin C, as some of that would be passed on to her as she feeds.

Melissa said...

I was going to say the same thing as Sharon-- Olivia might not get sick. :) Rebecca hasn't had anything at all yet. We've had exposure to H1N1, which I got and she didn't, aside from the sniffles, colds and flus which we've both managed to avoid since she was born, and varicella by way of shingles which is less contagious, but still the same thing. She's not vaccinated for anything (yet), and she's nursed on demand still, which equates to about 4-8 times in 24 hours depending on her preferences and our activity levels on a given day. The antibodies mothers make are better than vaccines. :)

Hope she puts on come weight for you soon, although R also was only about 14-15lbs at 6 months, so don't worry too much! Different kids grow at different rates.... and R is JUST in 6-9 month clothing at 12 months, so at least Olivia fits the "right" clothes! ;)

The Mom said...

Beautiful baby - I love the hair, Lucy (who is now 14) had fluffy hair like that as a baby.

I'm sure your parents will miss being so close by.

I second what the others said about Olivia not getting sick - Alex, my first child, didn't have a cold in his first year of life.

Henrietta x