Monday, September 24, 2007

balloon festival

On Saturday Ben and I went to the Plano Balloon Festival just down the road. Our main road was so crowded with traffic for the event it took me 30 minutes just to go just a couple miles. (Supposedly it attracts over seventy thousand people over the weekend.) I ended up taking some other roads that were twice the distance, but a whole lot faster.

There were several dozen hot air balloons that took off... they came back and lit up after the sun went down, which was kind of neat. Balloon rides were available to the public for $250 per person, so I'm afraid we were only spectators from the ground.






They say the statistics for balloon accidents are like a tenth of a percent, but we nearly saw an accident happen. Two balloons went up at about the same time. One of the pilots apparently wasn't watching where he was going, and came up right under the basket of the balloon above him. The crowd below was horrified; it looked like his balloon was going to collide with the edge of the basket above him, and dump it over! The pilot on top barely managed to gain enough altitude to just escape it, but his passengers were able to actually reach out and touch the offending balloon. I didn't even think to get pictures until the whole incident was over... I know, what kind of photographer am I?! ;)

I made a cheesecake on Saturday. As is known by a few people, I am not a cheesecake fan, and yet I continually make it with hopes I will learn to like it. Well, this cheesecake I made I actually like! It was a rather "different" cheesecake, so maybe that's why. Anyway, I'll be keeping the recipe for it. :)

And my dad has a new job! He's going to be working with Verizon.

2 comments:

PeterinScotland said...

There's a segment of the Philips promotional film that they have on the High Definition televisions at Tesco, that has a balloon festival like that. Could well be the same one as some of the material in the film is definitely from Texas. Abigail, who doesn't have TV at home, likes to go and watch!

Another big one in Bristol, England, where we used to live, was started the year before the Plano one. Often the balloons would pass a short distance above our house/garden, fascinating me as a teenager, but alarming local animals with the noise of the flares that produce the hot air. Did your dog see the balloons?

See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_air_balloon_festivals

Unknown said...

Yes my dog had a great time barking at the balloons :) However, our husky mix was the one who started barking at them, so I think she joined in just for fun :D